Monday, March 11, 2013

Trash or Treasure: Empty Canisters

I am horrible at staying organized, so I am always looking for ways to be more efficient with our space and find good storage tools like shoeboxes or inexpensive, lightweight shelving. I absolutely love when I can take something that I would normally throw away and turn it into something cute and useful around the house.

When we last finished off a can of bread crumbs, I was so excited to find a great use for the empty canister, and it was something I needed (and planned to buy) anyway.  I am not very creative or crafty, so if I can do it, anyone can do it.  This took about 10 minutes, start to finish.

Step 1: Clean out the inside of the bread crumb container.  If it is metal, you can rinse it and wash it out. If it is cardboard, use the vacuum cleaner, then wipe out gently with a disinfecting cloth, being careful not to get it too wet.

Step 2: Cut fabric, tissue paper, or contact paper to appropriate size to fully wrap around can, leaving no gaps at top or bottom.

Step 3: Add any desired embellishments.

Before                                                            After

For mine, I used silver tissue paper, along with blue ribbon and a yellow flower to complete the look.  They were all left over from packaging at my bridal shower, which gives it a sentimental flare since I am such a sentimental gal.

1 comment:

  1. How cute is that?!! I love that idea! I also need more storage for my kitchen utensils. I hate searching thru the drawer for them. I plan to do this as soon as I employ my next container that will work for it. Thanks for the idea.


    ReplyDelete