Thursday, March 14, 2013

Perks of Pregnancy

Pregnancy can really cause a lot of discomfort.  Between the sleepless nights, the swollen feet (and fingers, ugh!), and the horrifying realization that no, you won't go pick up the newspaper because that would involve bending down and that is no longer on your can-do list, it is always good to stop and take a moment to appreciate the perks of pregnancy.

First and foremost, of course, is the little life you are toting around with you everywhere.  Feeling our little guy kicking and moving throughout the day is amazing, and it just never gets old.  I love being able to sit down and talk to him and feel him responding to my voice.  It is such a privilege to be able to experience pregnancy and carry him around for 9 months.  The bonding process has already begun, and I feel so connected to my son, even though I won't be meeting him for another 4 months.

Another perk, which I try to appreciate to the fullest, is being able to decide that I want a snack 15 minutes before I go to bed and not only not feeling guilty for it, but actually feeling like I have done a good thing by providing nourishment to my child.  It's good that I can be guilt-free about it, too, because I do this pretty much every night.

It never fails.  I am 5 minutes from being in bed, and out of nowhere, I am ravenous.  No lead-in, no warning.  Just satiated to desperate in seconds flat.  So, in spite of having brushed my teeth, I head down to the kitchen and fix myself a snack, knowing that if I try to ignore the early hunger pangs, I will just have to eat at my next bathroom wake-up anyway, which should be in about...20 minutes.

Tonight's snack was a plain bagel smothered in cream cheese and red raspberry preserves.  Yes, I used both, and yes, it was as amazing as it sounds.  (Apologies for the half-eaten piece in the picture.  I couldn't wait.)


No comments:

Post a Comment