Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Pregnant Interview: Part Two

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my interview for a real estate attorney position in a post entitled The Pregnant Interview: Part One.  At the time, I was full of hope and thought I had a really good shot at being hired.  That all crumbled slowly when Friday, the day they had told me they would have a decision, came and went.  Then Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday dragged by without a word.  They had specifically told me they would let me know either way, so when I didn't hear anything, I finally called to try to get some information.  Although I left a message, no one responded.

Okay, I get it.  You don't want to hire me.  Is it because I'm pregnant?  Perhaps.  Or perhaps it's because I don't have experience.  Either way, it would have been nice to have a phone call or even an email.  Just something.

But on to the next thing.  In my frustration at still having no permanent work after being out of school for a year and a half, I have switched gears and am starting to focus my energies on starting a business of my own.  I have an idea what I want to do, and I have been working feverishly on a business plan that I can present to my husband.

The best part about my business is that it could be done entirely from home.  It would mean being able to do what I really want to do - stay home with our children.  I know it will not be easy, but I think it is something that I can do and, moreover, that I would really enjoy.  I may have to work for a year or so to raise and save the startup capital.  (I could do it in much less time if I had been fortunate enough to not be accepted to law school and thus did not have huge monthly payments eating up most of my paycheck.)

We shall see how that works out, but I also have a few other prospects on the horizon.  I applied for several positions with the federal government, and I am waiting to hear back on a few of those.  I also applied for a job with a law firm that focuses on internet and technology issues, which includes things like intellectual property disputes, contracts, business, and more.  Although I did not get that job, or even an interview, the founding partner was kind enough to send out an email to everyone who applied and did not receive an interview.  It was a basic form letter that essentially said, "Thanks, but no thanks," but having applied for hundreds of positions and heard very little in response over the last 18 months, I was very grateful that someone took the time to respond to everyone.

So I wrote a short note back thanking him for letting me know and wishing him luck, thinking that would certainly be the end of it.  He responded to my email, however, with an invitation to contact him in a few weeks for a meeting.  He wants to see if there is anything he can do to help me find work, even if it's not with his firm.  Sweet!

We have a busy weekend ahead, with a trip to Pennsylvania planned, and then I have not one, but TWO doctor's appointments next week on two different days.  But it should be exciting to see what's in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment