Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Pregnant Interview - Part One

Weeks of worrying about the first real interview for a full-time attorney position that I have had since graduating from law school came to a head this afternoon. At precisely 3 p.m., I jumped in the car and made the short 25-minute drive to Tyson's Corner. (For those of you who are wise enough not to live in a place like the greater D.C. Metro area, a 25-minute commute is like a fairy tale. My current commute is about three times as long.)

I have been both worried and excited about this day since I first got the invitation to come interview. Of course, any interview is bound to make a person nervous. That is just the nature of the beast. But for me, in my situation, it's even more terrifying because so much is riding on it.

First of all, I want my sister to move to Virginia and be our nanny, but if I don't have a job that pays enough, it doesn't make sense to have her do that. Since I am already almost five months pregnant, something needs to happen soon or we are going to run out of time and have to find another solution.

Second, the job market for lawyers is so tight right now, and I have very little experience. It is hard enough to compete in this market, but factor in that you are new to everything, and you are really at a major disadvantage.

Third, and most obvious, is my very conspicuous and now unmistakable baby bump. Just in the last few days, people have started to comment on it, which makes me realize that gone are the days of people thinking I'm just packing a little extra chunk.

At the end of the day, however, interviewing when pregnant really shouldn't make that big of a difference.  I mean, let's face it, any company that hires a woman in her child-bearing years is taking on the risk that she will be needing maternity leave at some point in the future.  Yes, it's a long time for an employee to be out, but at the same time, if the woman is good enough at what she does, a good employer will recognize that.

So, I went to my interview, which was conducted by a man and a woman, co-owners of the title company.  They were fantastic about everything.  They did not seem at all put off by the fact that I am pregnant, and I know they knew because I saw the woman look at my belly and because we discussed it later in the interview.  (They really shouldn't have mentioned it, but I'm okay with that...as long as I get the job!)  But it really didn't seem to be a big deal, and towards the end of the interview, the man interviewing me told me that they were very impressed with me and with my attitude.

It remains to be seen, of course, whether they actually offer me the job.  They did promise to let me know by Friday either way, so until then, I am planning to enjoy my week off in anticipation that I will soon be working full-time at a non-temp job.  Tune in on Friday for "The Pregnant Interview - Part Two," when I will reveal the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment