Monday, January 6, 2014

Day 6: I am thankful for coffee

Yesterday, I was feeling a tad nostalgic and mentioned to my almost 6-month-old that a part of me misses his newborn stage.  He thoughtfully responded by regressing to newborn sleeping patterns last night.  He also refused to go down for his nap until 12:30 this afternoon, a full 3 hours after he usually takes his first nap of the day.  Needless to say, I am quite tired today.

Enter a fresh, hot, steaming cup of coffee.  There are few things in life that I rely on more than my morning cups of joe...and my afternoon cups of joe.  Generally speaking, I probably consume a wee bit more coffee than I should, but hey, it's chock full of antioxidants, right?

But seriously, not having coffee was one of the most difficult parts of pregnancy for me.  I really did not miss alcohol at all, except a little towards the end of my pregnancy, but coffee was a different story.  I did have a cup from time to time, but only when I really needed it, such as when I was at work and physically incapable of staying awake.

Now that I am no longer pregnant, I pretty much drink it whenever I want.  I am still breastfeeding, but it has not had any noticeable effect on my son.  In fact, he has been a much better than average sleeper for his age since day one, at least most nights.  I also try to time my coffee so that I am having a cup right after he eats, which allows time for my body to metabolize it.

I do feel very fortunate to have access to coffee throughout the day.  I know that we are going to try for more children in the future, so I will enjoy this time of being able to indulge as much as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment