Friday, January 3, 2014

Day 3: I am thankful for my mom

Yesterday, I had such a bad morning.  I know bad days happen to most people, but not to me.  In an entire year, I probably have an average of 3 or fewer bad days.  My husband likes to say that if I broke my leg, I would say that some people don't have legs to break.  Which is totally true.  No matter what happens, I always try to think about how fortunate I am, rather than focus on whatever is getting me down.

But yesterday, I was really feeling down, and I could not pick myself back up.  Part of it was just being exhausted and sick, never a good combination.  But about an hour after I got out of bed, something happened that really made me feel sad, and I could not shake it off.

I don't want to go into details for various reasons, but I will say that it was nothing serious like a health issue or a death in the family or anything nearly that bad.  I knew it should not get me so upset, but it did.

So I called my mom, who provided me with just the right dose of "this isn't that serious" mixed with "it's okay to be upset over this."  It really reminded me how fortunate I am to have a mom who I can talk to and who is one of my closest friends.  And the best part was that it took my focus off of my blues and put it back where it belongs: on what I am most thankful for.


1 comment:

  1. Amen for good mothers. I appreciate your optimism so much - I want to emulate that!

    ReplyDelete