Saturday, April 6, 2013

The One Thing I Want My Kids to Know

Day 6 of the April Blog Challenge from Green Moms Network:

There are so many things I want to teach my children and that I want my children to learn through their own experiences.  I know that there are many things I will never be able to teach them.  I cannot teach them how to avoid a broken heart.  Sure, I can instruct them on how to guard their hearts and be careful giving their hearts away, but at the end of the day, I know they will get hurt by someone, sometime along the way.  All I can do is teach them how to pick up and keep going and keep believing there is always something better just around the corner.

Certainly, there are many things I can teach them, like how to maintain a positive attitude in difficult situations, treating others with respect no matter what they look like or where they come from, and all the little life skills like cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, and so on.

But when it comes to one thing I want my kids to know, it would be God's love for them.  A close second is, of course, how much I love them, but the most important thing, far more important than my love for them, is God's love.  If my children can always know and remember how much God loves them, in spite of their shortcomings (not that my children will have any!) and in spite of their lapses into sin, then I believe my children will always keep coming back to God.

I want my children to always remember that unconditional love, that truly perfect love of their Heavenly Father so that they know that no matter what the circumstances of life on Earth, He is always there for them, and His love never changes, never ceases, never runs dry.

I know that I cannot stay here forever with them.  I may live to be 105 (my current goal), or I may be taken up to Jesus tomorrow.  But to know that I will see them again in Heaven someday is all the comfort I need.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that. And the more loving the parents, the easier it is to believe in a loving God.

    ReplyDelete