Monday, October 7, 2013

Hooray for small victories: Recovering after pregnancy

Today, I wear a pair of jeans - not sweat pants, people! Jeans! - that are NOT maternity jeans.  Now, granted, they are a couple sizes larger than what I wore pre-pregnancy, but only a couple.  And last week, when I tried to put them on, I was able to button them but not able to breathe comfortably after doing so.  Although I cannot see a difference in the size of my belly since last week, the fact that I can wear these jeans is an indication that it is still getting smaller, even though it does not appear to be.

I am absolutely floored by how long it is taking to get rid of the belly, but I am so glad to know it is shrinking, albeit much too slowly for my taste.  I have tried doing abdominal exercises to move the process along, but that still causes me a little pain around the incision from my C-section, so I am going to wait a bit longer before getting too crazy with ab work.

I still cannot fit my wedding and engagement rings on my fingers, at least not without feeling as though I might be dangerously close to cutting off all circulation, but I think I will be able to soon.  I was so not prepared for this to take so darn long, but everyone keeps telling me that it took 9 months to grow the baby, so I should give myself 9 months to recover.

2 and a half down.  Only 6 and a half to go until I am "normal" again?  And really, I doubt I ever will be like I once was...5'2", 100 pounds soaking wet, flat tummy...but you know what?  Even though I still look pregnant, I would not change it for the world.  Carrying my little boy in my belly was the most amazing thing I have ever done.

And, on the bright side, at the rate we're going, we'll be ready to try for the next one before this belly is gone, so my son will be used to seeing Mommy with a big tummy.  Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo, hurray for blue jeans! Keep up the great work, you'll shrink back to normal :)

    ReplyDelete