Thursday, May 30, 2013

Look out! We've got a big one coming!

Yesterday, I went to see my doctor for a routine checkup and was told that my fundal height is measuring large.  I was able to get in for an ultrasound this morning, and they checked all of my little guy's measurements.  As I watched the tech measure his abdomen, femur, and various other body parts, I kept seeing "38w0d" or "38w1d" pop up on the screen, meaning that the measurements they were getting were about average for a baby that is at 38 weeks, not 34 like my little guy.

So, he really is a big baby, and it isn't just the way he was positioned or something like that.  The doctor said that he estimates the current weight at about 6 pounds, 13 ounces, and by the time I hit my due date, he could be around 9 pounds or more.

He spoke with a lot of caution when he shared this news, almost as though he expected me to freak out, but hearing it, I really felt relieved.  Big babies do tend to run in my family.  My sister's kids were both just over 9 pounds, and I was, too.  My other sister was even bigger than all of us, weighing in at 9 pounds and 4 ounces.  Even my dad was a big baby.  My mom's mother had 9 childen, and my dad's mother had 4.  None  of any of the aforementioned babies necessitated a c-section, with one minor exception: I was breech, and although my mom did not have a c-section, the doctor later told my dad that if he had known I was breech, he definitely would have ordered one.  But he didn't know, so the record stayed clean.

The doctor did mention that one reason for the mammoth baby could be gestational diabetes, so I am going in tomorrow to retest.  I tested a while ago, maybe 28 weeks or so, and I passed with flying colors, so they do not think that is what it is, but it is possible.  If it is gestational diabetes, they can deal with that by adjusting my diet, but if not, then I've just got a big, healthy baby in there.

Either way, it's amazing how just getting more information can help.  I was not really stressed about the situation last night, but it was still on my mind.  I guess I would say I was antsy.  I just felt like I wanted to know what was going on so I could prepare for what was most likely coming.  Now, knowing that he is indeed big but that he is only projected to be around 9 pounds at birth, I feel like I can handle it.

I also think that there is a good possibility that my due date is off by about a week.  Every ultrasound I had earlier in my pregnancy pegged me for a July 7 due date, but my OB decided to keep me at July 12 based on my very rough estimate of my last period.  I never really kept track, so it is possible I am a little ahead of schedule.

Sticking with the July 12 due date, I will be 37 weeks on June 21.  I have childbirth classes scheduled for the weekend of June 22 and 23.  (I know, I know.  That is very late in the game, but we had a special little guy's first birthday party to attend, so we had to reschedule, and those were the only dates we could do.)  As soon as we get done with the classes, which I really want to attend just for the experience of it, I am going to be doing as much walking as I can.  Hopefully, I can encourage him to at least make a somewhat early appearance.  I am certainly eager to meet him face to face!

No comments:

Post a Comment